The official 2019 footpath map has a confusing Parish Boundary with a more southerly northern boundary and bulge at the Heath. Both maps courtesy of Suffolk County Council. This is due to a legal technicality with the way footpaths are recorded on a 1954 map with a different boundary. So, the footpaths are … Read moreParish Boundary
Folly (The) School Lane Lower Road Sandy Lane River Road Cliff Road Street (The) Cliff Road and Fishponds Road
Sorry you have no rights to view unless you are a member, if you live in, or have a connection with the village please ask for access.
Interesting and some good map and aerial photo resources. www.romanroads.org
A short book (Bob has copy) giving some techniques for analysing where roads were. Whilst interesting there did not seem to be many clues as to how we can rediscover ours. One tip was the University of Cambridge collection of aerial photographs which is worth following up.
See 1800 Isaac Johnson map and note that on 1945 aerial photos it looks like the shadow of a road where the path is now that to where Mill Road ended. It does look wider than the road. Mysterious.
This shows how Sandy Lane was referred to just as “Leading to the Street” which was Fishpond Road. Note also how Church Path continues directly from it without today’s dogleg. The status of the Northern part of Mill Lane is unclear. Deben Lane does not appear. On the 1829 Glebe map Mill Road is called … Read more1800 Isaac Johnson map
WLD 058 – Ditched trackways and field boundaries of probable later prehistoric date can be seen as cropmarks on aerial photographs, Waldringfield parish. see here
?JERIES WAY ?LEROYES WAY ?TERYER WAY or JERYES WAY CHURCH WAY CROUCH WAY drift way highway leading from WALDRINGFIELD STREET to IPSWICH highway leading towards WALDRINGFIELD CLIFF JOINES WAY? LONG LANE MARK WAY MARK WAY leading to the CLIFF REEVES WAY in part, otherwise the MARSH WAY RIVERSHALL WAY TERYER WAY? JERYES WAY The CLIFF … Read more1656 Survey Waldringfield Rivershall & Hilton Survey road and path names
See Newbourne Road
The road was re-routed by a previous Lord of the Manor (Joe?). This is a google view superimposed on the Tithe Map
East side – Chapel Cottage, Baptist Chapel , Windy Acres, others to add here. West side – Windycross , others to add here.
aka School Lane New House, QUEITWAYS, 1, 2, 3, 4, New Oak Tree Farm. Built by Mrs. Stevens who had a chicken farm next to Oak garage. Now owned by local farmer David Parken who as child lived at Dairy farm. Bungalow, Village Hall
New House, NEWBIGGINGS, GINGINSLOUVA, ROSE COTTAGE, No.5, LYDIA COTTAGE, CURLEW COTTAGE, RIVERVIEW, No.1, ATABARA, HERONS KILN, POPLARS, RIVERDALE, GENOA LODGE
The Maltings or Cliff House, The Old Coal Shed, Windward, For some years the home of the last Bloomfield see Census Returns to live in the village. Driftwood Kiln Cottage Crystal Creek Modern house on site old an old wooden house. The Boatyard Quayside, Tides Reach, Windy Bank, Debenair, Micklegarth, Swans Nest Scout Hut
Page needs re-ordering. Known as Maybush Lane in the late 19C. On the East side. Village School Built in 1875 by Rev. Thomas Henry Waller and eventually sold to the local Education Authority in 1904. School House together with Roy Cottage a pair of Pretyman Cottages. The schoolmaster Mr Tompkins lived there. Broomstubbs No.L Paddock … Read moreCliff Road
Northside – Hillcrest, Crossways – Originally a pair of Pretyman Cottages, now one house & much extended from original building. Low Farm and Camp Site.
White Hall Cottage (now Plum Tree Cottage) An old cottage rebuilt in 1973 as a retirement cottage for Canon Trevor Waller and his wife. Unfortunately Mrs. Waller died shortly after they moved in, but Canon Trevor Waller remained there until his death in 1996. Now a holiday home. White Hall – Part of the Waller … Read moreWhite Hall Lane
Church Meadows – No.1, No.3, RIVER COTTAGE, MEADOW VIEW, GALLEONS on the site of a Bungalow (picture somewhere). Penny Hedge. So called as the owner found a penny in the hedge. The Willows Bungalows 1 2 3 , Seven Moons A modern bungalow built around an old army hut, originally named Hawthorns. The four Waller … Read moreMill Road
East side – Prior to the opening of the new school in 1875 School Road was a little used lane with only one property, Miss Mary Pretymans cottage, on the east side of the lane. The coprolite carts no doubt used the lane to reach the coprolite pit where High Elms now stands. Two modern … Read moreSchool Road
Previously called The Street, and was the main route into the village and down to the river. It avoided the ‘hill’ in ‘School Road’ and was an easier route for the horses. In the 19C there was a Change to Fishpond Road .Before the early years of the 20th century the lanes would have little … Read moreFishpond Road
Waldringfield Parish Council Footpaths EG98/B1/1 A meeting was held in the sailing clubhouse on Aug 12th 1932 at 8.00pm called by Mr. A.W. Stollery & attended by about 15 invited parishioners to consider matters in ref. to the right of way on the shore. After a brief explanation by Mr. Stollery that the reason for … Read more1932 to 1938 Parish Council minutes regarding footpaths
West side – Cross Cottage – Originally a pair of Pretyman cottages, part of the Pretyman’s of Nacton, Foxhall estate. These cottages are recognisable as they had no front doors. Not as claimed by my father in law because Capt. Pretyman didn’t want the wives gossiping on the front door steps, but to make them … Read moreWoodbridge Road
The plots on Sullivan Place were intended to be for young couples who were good at DIY, and most of the properties there were in fact built by their first owners.
A continuation of Fishpond Road and starts at the bend to the South. East side – Novacastria. A modern looking house built on the site of or around a much older property by Thomas Naunton Waller in the 1920’s and modernised by his great nephew Dr. Thomas Waller in the 1980′ Rosemary Cottage. , Elm … Read moreSandy Lane
Roads and Path names Field names survey-off-rivershall-1656 1656 Survey individuals bits of land to fit together WALDRINGFIELD RIVERSHALL HB8/1/937 An Exact Particular of the several copyhold lands belonging to the Mannor of Rivershall – Waldringfield in the County of Suffolk as they are not abutted bring part of the possessions of THOMAS ESSINGTON of Brightwell … Read more1656 Survey Waldringfield Rivershall & Hilton Survey including analysis